Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer Printmaking Project




My latest Speedrun video featuring my Custom Monoprint Demonstration.  Thank you for viewing.



Printing...printing...printing...the process of printmaking is a physical one that allows the artist to get fully involved and enjoy the "intimacy" of working with this process.





Touching and making contact with the material is an important facet to making both ceramics and prints, which is why I love both of these forms of art.  In many ways ceramics and printmaking are intrinsically linked by their "intimate process".





Layering ink directly onto the surface of pvc foam creates a bright and highly pigmented surface that reflects the viewers' gaze (although a bit blurry) back at his/herself, something that intrigues me and that I love. Introspective indeed.





The amazing versatility of using the pvc foam plates as a printing template as well as for sculpture lends itself to infinite possibilities. Repetition, Shape, Size/Scale, color, and even light become avenues for breeding new ideas or stirring old ones that we love.

Once the layering of ink is complete, it is time to let the work dry. The drying period for these works can take upwards of one to two months depending on the layering of ink and the time of year/humidity, etc.





These pvc wall-hanging pieces are breeding new ideas for new projects. These projects include using porcelain and black clay to make wall-hanging pieces implementing my main material and artistic love...CERAMICS. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've started a blog, Shiloh! I look forward to reading your future posts as I've enjoyed reading the ones you've posted so far. I enjoy the "light versus dark" premise that you build your works on. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. Hope you post future info about shows and sales of your ceramic pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fern. I greatly appreciate your comment :)

      Your blog is amazing as well and I look forward to seeing more of your artistic endeavors and projects in the near future.

      Delete